What Are My Rights If I Got Hurt On The Job?
Under South Carolina law, injured workers have a number of rights and legal protections. But the fact that these laws exist is not enough to ensure that a worker is actually protected from employer wrongdoing or retaliation after a work accident. Sometimes, an employee needs a strong legal advocate on his or her side to ensure the employer follows the law.
As a Spartanburg/Greenville workers' compensation attorney and founder of the Patrick E. Knie Law Offices, I work with injured employees to ensure their rights are protected and that they receive the workers' compensation benefits they are due. If you or a loved one needs help with a workers' comp claim, contact me, a Spartanburg/Greenville injured worker lawyer, to schedule a free consultation.RIGHTS OF INJURED WORKERS IN THE WORKERS' COMP SYSTEM
- If you were hurt on the job, you are entitled to proper medical care paid for by your employer's workers' comp carrier.
- You have a right to a second opinion from a qualified doctor if you disagree with the medical opinion of the company-approved doctor.
- You have a right to receive all the workers' compensation you are due for your on-the-job injury, which includes payment for:
- Mileage back and forth to all medical appointments, therapy and the pharmacy
- Lost wages for the time you are out of work AND
- Working wage loss if your wages are lower after you return to work because you now do different job duties or work fewer hours OR
- Nonworking maintenance wage loss or permanent total disability benefits if you are unable to continue at your current job and you cannot find other employment because of your disability
- Permanent injury or disability, such as:
- Awards for scarring of the face, arms or legs
- A lump-sum payment for loss of a limb, loss of use of a limb, loss of vision or loss of hearing
- Permanent partial disability for the percentage of impairment and disability you will continue to have for the remainder of your life
- Future medical benefits
4. You have the right to keep your job if you can do the work after you receive medical treatment.CONTACT A GREENVILLE & SPARTANBURG COUNTY MEDICAL CARE ATTORNEY
If you have suffered a workplace injury, I can help you pursue compensation for medical care and other damages. Contact me, a Spartanburg/Greenville workers' compensation lawyer, online or call to schedule an appointment to discuss your case. Consultations are free and confidential.